BOO

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

IT'S RAINING! IT'S RAINING!

I wanted to take a picture of me twirling around on the back deck with my arms out and my face toward the sky, showing how happy I am that it's finally raining.  BUT, decided the picture wasn't worth the broken hip I would probably get when I fell down---so, you'll just have to imagine it and know that I am imagining it too and feeling it in my heart.  I know it won't be long before we are complaining about the rain but for now, it makes us feel so fresh and clean and happy!
Swiss Chard

Collard Greens

Kale

Summer is winding down.  The green beans are finished and pulled up.  The cucs are finished mostly.  The kale and collards are about done.  The potatoes are harvested.  Didn't weigh them but think we got nearly 100 pounds.  The red ones did the best.  They are all tucked away in the potato bin in the food room. Dried chard, collards, kale and beet greens. Mixed them all together, ran them through the VitaMix to powder them, put  in a pretty jar and sold at the Farmers Market--dried greens for green smoothies.  Who woulda thought!

Tomatoes are still coming on.  Have canned tomato juice and sauce.  Made some tomatillo salsa.  Canned pickled beets and a few green beans.  We ate lots of fresh veggies all summer.  Thankfully the zucchini and crook neck squash are nearly done.  I'm ready to yank those plants out of the ground!  Vera (Fackrell) Trujillo gave us a box of Italian plums and I juiced them.  Will make some yummy jelly later on.

The grape juice pro hard at work.
The grapes are nearly finished.  Dad has been working on juicing all week.  Not as big a crop as in the past but so sweet and juicy.  Amazing juice!

Fall garden planted.  Not sure what exactly we will get.  I had a bunch of old seeds for winter crops--broccoli, broccoli raab, turnips, cabbage, pac choi, and I don't remember what all.  Anyway, I opened all the packages, mixed all the seeds together and sprinkled them over 3 beds.  Things are coming up, not much that I recognize.  It will be a surprize when we figure out what is growing.  The deer were walking through the beds at night, so we put up netting around them to deter the night roamers.

Last weeked we helped Sister O'Connor with a garage sale to help her close two storage units that she has been paying on for years.  Had it in our back yard.  I thought we would be lucky to bring in $100 but when all was said and done we made 3 times that and she was happy.

We go to the temple the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  Have been taking the Mudrows with us.  He can't drive anymore his health is so bad but they have a lot of names to take to the temple so we are trying to help them as we can.

Dad had an appointment with MD in Medford this month. His PSA is way down so he did not have to have a shot this month.  Doctor said to come back in 6 months.  Sounded good to us!
Tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes

Planted several varieties of tomatoes this year, some heirloom and some hybrid.  The hybrid Celebrity was a big producer and there are still lots on the vines to ripen.  The Brandywine my next favorite with huge tomatoes, about a pound each.  And the flavor--you just can't get any better than that!  Dad and I cut up one tomato for lunch and we can barely eat it all. Have enjoyed lots of tomato, basil and onion sandwiches.  Will be sad when we can't do that anymore.

The straw bales--some things did really well, others not so much.  The peppers were a total bust.  The tomatoes and potatoes were amazing.  The butternut squash is doing well, even though it was slow getting started.  We learned a few things.  Will probably try it again next year.

We went to Spring Creek in August to hear Sam's homecoming talk.  We are so proud of him!  He gave a great report of his mission.  He has matured into a fine young man!  So happy we were able to be there to hear him and welcome him home.  He's going to UVU in Provo in their culinary program. Good to see Shane, Quincy, Jamie and Joshua too, as well as Ben and Linda.  Enjoyed a picnic in the park after Sacrament meeting, before we all had to head off in opposite directions.
Some of fun new nail wraps from Jamberry

Had a couple of Jamberry Nail parties in August.  They went surprizingly well. Sold over $500, made $175, got lots of free and half price product.  Sweet!  Have two parties scheduled in October.  I really love those wraps but the canning season has been brutal on my hands and nails.  Looking pretty pathetic right now. Hoping to get some of the Halloween ones in time for the spooky season. I think Katie has a party open, maybe I'll order from her.

I have enjoyed the Farmers Market this summer.  Have a little booth most Fridays from 9-1.  Sell aprons, vanilla, Gmas Magic Medicine, Sore Muscle Salve and Tote bags made from animal feed bags.  I enjoy the comraderie, chatting with the customers, picking their brains when I discover that they know a lot more than I do about whatever topic we are discussing.  I've learned a lot--about herbs, about essential oils, about the community in general, and just "stuff".  Haven't made a ton of money (knew I wouldn't) but did make enough to pay for supplies, for the booth space and for the canopy and a little extra.  Hope to be able to do it again next year.  Might consider doing the Roseburg market on Saturday morning as well. Or not.  May is a long ways off.

Went to Medford with Sonja to a bridal shower for Brita.  Was fun to meet Brita's sisters,  her mom and some of her friends.  Looking forward toAustin and Brita's wedding this weekend.  Hope the weather cooperatres!  Forecast looks promising.  Details next time.

Had a small incident this past week.  I put a bunch of papers in the burn barrell and put a match to them.   Pulled the screen over the top and went back into the house.  An hour or so later Dad came running in the house and said we've got a fire burning in the field.  The sparks from the burn barrel had started the dry grass on fire and the fire worked its way over to the huge stack of yard waste that we had piled up to burn during the fire burning season.  It was shooting flames high into the air. The grass was so dry and burning very nicely.  We pulled the hose around and contained the fire to the area that you can see.  Dad stood watch until the big stack of waste was burned down.  God's tender mercies:  we were able to get it out before it did any real damage.  AND the local fire district did not coming racing in and give us a ticket for burning out of season.  Lesson learned:  Get a screen with smaller holes to cover the top of the barrel!
Fire escaped the burn barrell

Had a leak in one of the water pipes underground. Rex came, dug it up, fixed it.  So thankful that he is willing to help when we need it!  Also repaired the back garage door while he was here.

Had an ice cream social/talent show at the church this week.  Dad sang in a mens sextet (is that 6?) They sounded really good.  I wouldn't be surprized if they get asked to sing in a sacrament meeting soon.  Dad speaks in one of the wards in the Stake every other month, as assigned by the Stake President.  Sometimes he shares with the high councilor and sometimes just with a junior speaker.  He still enjoys visiting the other wards.  He has lots of friends all over the Stake.

Thinking about creating a private family FB page.  Would that make it easier for everyone to post and keep up on family news?  What are your feelings about that?  I know many are on FB every day and it might be more convenient for them.  Anyway, hoping for your input so can decide which way to jump.

Love you all, each and every one!!!

Mom and Dad, G'pa and G'ma Reber, Lynn and Dennis

PS.  Remember, if you buy your Essential Oils from Spark Naturals, be sure to use the coupon code   gmasmagic for an additional 10% off your order.  For those of you in the Provo area, you can use  the coupon code at the store as well.







No comments: