I love this time of year when we see flags flying everywhere
, we sing patriotic songs and my heart
swells with gratitude for the blessings of living in this free land, of
partaking of the freedoms that we enjoy on a daily basis and for those who have
gone before, some who were willing to sacrifice all—their lives, their fortunes
and their sacred honor—that we who came after might have a richer, fuller life
than they had. They had a vision of what
could be. We have the privilege of
living what they envisioned. I will
prepare and send a list of our family members who served in the Revolutionary
War soon.
Grandpa and I are doing well. The weather is clearing up and warming
up. We enjoy sitting in the back
watching the sun go down and feeling the cooling breeze coming from off the
canyon. What a beautiful area we live
in!
Garden is in and doing well.
We are experimenting with straw bale gardening this year. We didn’t plant everything in the straw
bales, in case it was a flop. But so far the things in the bales are doing
about the same as what was planted in the ground. Potato plants in the bales are bigger and
greener than we have ever had before.
Not sure what is going on down inside the bales. Hopefully big potatoes are forming and lots
of them! Replanted the bush beans as
some bug ate them off just as the little shoots came through the ground. Same with beets. Second planting seems to be doing OK so far.
Harvested the garlic recently and it looks good. We’ve been enjoying lots of radishes and they
were about gone so G’pa planted a few more.
Peas are blooming but no peas to pick yet. Have had lettuce. Front yard is beautiful with flowers blooming
here and there. The peonies, rhodies,
azaleas, daffodils and tulips are done but have several others blooming away in
their little corner of the world. Cleaned out the pond and put a few goldfish
in. Don’t see much of them so hope they
are still there. Had someone come cut, rake and bale the hay in the field. They got nearly 200 bales and were happy. I was surprized they got so many! Our bees disappeared while we were gone so now we have two hives and no bees. Trying to catch a swarm.
![]() |
| Cut, Raked, Baled and loaded |
I have a booth at the Farmers Market every Friday. Dad helps me set up and take down. I’m marketing
the aprons made from mens’ shirts, the feed sack tote bags and my Gmas
Magic Medicine. Also sell a little
lettuce and swiss chard. Not doing a
booming business but selling some. Saw a
cute idea for planting a little herb garden in one of the feed sack totes. I think I’ll put one of those together for
this next Friday and see what happens.
Sorta fun to get out in the community and visit with people that come
by.
![]() |
| My booth at the Farmers Market |
![]() |
| Reber family March 23, 2014. ( Isn't this a great bunch?) |
![]() |
| Six sisters being goofy. |
![]() |
| They'll have to explain this. |
![]() |
| Six sisters and their mom. (I am so blessed!) |
Spent several days with Ben and Linda’s family and were there
for choir concerts for Jamie and Shane. Dad gave Quincy his Patriarchal blessing. Attended a Family History fair in their Stake
and got lots of good ideas to implement. Spent a night with Helen and Wayne.
Went to Arizona
to spend a few days with Neil. He is
doing well. He was such a fun tour guide
when we went to see all the places we used to live, etc. He misses Bobbie like
crazy but keeps himself busy. He’s
delivering meals on wheels again so that gets him out and about. He’s hoping to
go to Australia
to cook for a hunting group. He’s only
82 so I guess there is no reason he can’t go!
Stopped at the south rim of the Grand Canyon
on the way and visited with Walt and Wendy.
They fixed us a nice lunch and then took us on a quick tour of the Desert
View area of the GC. So beautiful! Just as awe inspiring as it was years ago
when we first saw it. Walt works for the
government at Desert View.
Enjoyed time with Kenley, Darlene, Sam and Pat in Mesquite . Mary and Jim were so kind to let us camp at
their home for 6 weeks—well, not really “camp”--We had lovely bedroom and bath
all to ourselves. Drove to Ogden to see Grant and Kathe in their new home before we
headed back to Oregon .
They were just getting unpacked.
While in Utah
helped Katie and Robin with a few projects.
Managed to keep busy most days.
Coming up this month is the Miller Reunion at Crescent City , CA
the last weekend in July. Robin is
flying up to go with us. Rex, Michelle
and Mikayla are going to go too. We are
all staying in a VRBO with Dee, Mark and Neil. Should be fun!
Steve and Dianna Vincent are celebrating their 50th
anniversary this year so are having a big family reunion at their ranch. I’m going to help with the cooking for 3
days—10th, 11th and 12th. Not sure exactly what my assignment will
be. I know Dianna is planning the menu
and I’ll be helping with the prep, along with one or two others. I’m not in
charge so haven’t found out the details yet.
We go to the temple at least once a month. Going this Wednesday and taking two people
with us. That is our goal—to always have
a full car when we go. We no longer
serve as ordinance workers or coordinators so we don’t spend the night. Just go down early in the morning, do two
sessions and then come home before dark.
We really love our temple service!
We spend time indexing.
Dad does more than I do. He’s
done over 8,000 names this month. I’ve
given a couple of presentations on indexing to stake leaders, trying to promote
a little more interest in a few more people.
Went to the coast on Saturday to wish Treyse good luck
before he headed off to Nation Guard camp.
He flew out to Fort Leonard Wood this morning (Monday). He’ll be there 6 months. I’ll send his address when I get it from Shannon . So
beautiful on the coast on Saturday. Lots
of sun, no wind. Yahoo!
Kyle and Sonja doing well.
Kyle has several hives of bees that keep him busy evenings. He has some
out in orchards doing what bees do. He’s hoping to expand. Ryan still working in
Josh is home for the summer.
He attended Western Oregon at Monmouth
last term and will go back in the fall.
Working for Orenco during the summer.
Ryan J working for Garda, delivering money all over western Oregon . Shaquel working for Sprint and doing
well. Nathan working at Orenco. Colton
planning to move to Rock Springs ,
Wyoming to work there. Brittany
working in Medford
in MD office. Austin
in New Jersey
for the summer installing something—not sure what. But doing well and making $. Tanner on a traveling LaCrosse team so keeps
the family on the road. Emily looking
forward to her senior year this fall. Mikayla playing summer ball and working in the blueberry packing shed.
Our missionaries are working hard. Sam finishing up the end of July. .
Devery and Caleb both finishing their first year. Doesn’t seem possible! Time just flies! We are
proud of them and do so enjoy the letters we get from them all!
I have a goal to keep in better contact with family, to keep
us better connected. This one is long
because I was trying to catch up for the last few months, but I’ll do it more
often so won’t be as wordy. We love each of you! We love seeing pictures of the little ones in
their various activities. You are in our
hearts and minds every day.










2 comments:
Thanks for posting! It's fun hearing about what everyone is doing.
I am so glad you are blogging again. But it makes me so homesick for Oregon.
Post a Comment